Tottenham have seen deals for goalkeeper Hugo Lloris, Shakhtar Donetsk's Willian and FC Porto midfielder Joao Moutinho collapse, while they have revealed that they have never made a bid for Loic Remy.
France goalkeeper Lloris, 25, was the most likely deal to be completed, but a statement on Lyon's website read: "Olympique Lyonnais have not reached an agreement with Tottenham for the transfer of Hugo Lloris. The proposals forwarded this evening by Tottenham are very different from the principle which had been agreed on August 26 and which had allowed to open the discussions between the player and the London club.''
Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas has been linked with a trio of attacking talent, alongside Leandro Damiao, but will seemingly stick with Jermain Defoe, Emmanuel Adebayor and Harry Kane as his strikers this season.
"There was massive speculation today (linking Spurs) with Remy but it is not the case," Villas-Boas said at a press conference on Thursday.
A move for Moussa Dembele has replaced Real Madrid-bound Luka Modric, so Moutinho's price tag is not worth reaching according to the former Porto boss.
"It's an impossible deal for the club,'' Villas-Boas said. "You have to bear in mind that this is a player with a 40 million euro release clause.
"This volume of money is out of Tottenham's possibility. Bearing in mind that this is a key player for club and country, you wouldn't say that you would get him at half the price and half the price is already bigger than Tottenham's record fee.''
A renewed attempt for Shakhtar Donetsk's Willian, after a £15 million bid was rejected, is possible but the manager once again suggested that the negotiations were over.
"We had initial contact with Shakhtar, (who) again (are) a club in a position with wealthy owners, (and are) not easy to deal with," Villas-Boas added.
"We can't say that it's over but we have approached the club and at the moment it's a deal that doesn't seem to be happening."