Manchester City news

Mancini: Martinez too pricey for City

August 24, 2012
By Richard Jolly

Roberto Mancini said that Javi Martinez is too expensive for Manchester City. The Athletic Bilbao and Spain midfielder, who has been a summer target for the Premier League champions, now appears certain to join Bayern Munich.

Roberto Mancini smile Man City v Southampton
PA PhotosRoberto Martinez brought in five players

• Feyenoord pessimistic over Guidetti
• Live Transfer Blog: On the Move

Although City have spent around £450 million on transfers since Sheikh Mansour's 2008 takeover, manager Mancini insists that the versatile Martinez, who could cost over £30 million, is out of his price range. "His cost is too big - too high for me," he said.

With a week remaining of the transfer window, Mancini is eager to add further signings to his squad, with Jack Rodwell the only addition so far.

"We are working," Mancini said. "We can't say a name or how many players, but we are working."

Swansea winger Scott Sinclair is of interest to City, but Mancini said a deal is not imminent, explaining: "At the moment, no. [Later], could be. We will see."

But one man the City boss is adamant he will not sign is Chelsea's Brazilian defender David Luiz, who was linked with a move to Manchester.

"I read it a newspaper but it is not true," the 47-year-old said. "David Luiz is young and is a fantastic player, but it is not true."

Mancini said no one will be allowed to leave until he makes any more signings. "We can't sell a player if we don't buy others," he explained.

Adam Johnson is wanted by Liverpool and Sunderland, but the manager said he had received no offers for the England international and also denied that Edin Dzeko will join Juventus.

With Gareth Barry, Micah Richards and Sergio Aguero all injured, Mancini said his squad is being stretched. "We have 19 players at the moment," he said.