Tottenham news

Redknapp set to leave Tottenham

June 13, 2012
By Harry Harris, Football Correspondent

Manager Harry Redknapp is expected to leave Tottenham after failing to agree a new contract at the club, according to ESPN sources.

Harry Redknapp
PA PhotosHarry Redknapp is seeking a new club

Redknapp, 65, held crunch talks with chairman Daniel Levy on Wednesday in the hope of agreeing a new deal, but they appear to have resulted in the end of his three-and-a-half year reign at White Hart Lane.

The former West Ham boss failed to lead the club into the Champions League having finished fourth, but only because London rivals Chelsea picked up the trophy and gained automatic entry into the tournament.

Redknapp refused to confirm the news to ESPN - claiming he ''had nothing to say'' - while a Spurs official said: "We have nothing to say as yet, we have not been told what has happened between the manger and the chairman."

However, ESPN sources close to Redknapp said: "It's no surprise if he has left the club, that was to be expected. He wanted a new three-year contract, but he also wanted a number of clauses in his current contract changed and updated.

"But that was never going to happen. Daniel Levy has a new training ground to pay for, budgets for new players, and the club have failed to qualify for the Champions League to help pay for them.

"Daniel also felt let down as Harry wanted the England job, and wouldn't talk about a new contract when that looked a possibility. But Daniel backed him through the tax case, helped him on other matters, and felt let down, and was not inclined to offer a new contract.

"Harry had backed himself into a corner demanding a new deal saying he couldn't go into the final year of his existing contract."

Redknapp had called up Wayne Rooney's agent Paul Stretford after dropping First Artist Management and Phil Smith in an attempt to force through a new contract. But preliminary meetings between Stretford and the Spurs board met with little progress for the Redknapp camp.

The ESPN source added: "David Moyes is on his last year of his contract, but it might suit him, but it didn't suit Harry. The key issue for Spurs was failing to reach the Champions League. Some might say it wasn't his fault as he finished fourth, but at one stage Spurs were 13 points ahead and blew it around the time Harry was linked with the England job.

"Harry got sucked into believing he would get it, mostly by the media pushing him, but the FA have not done him any favours, they should have come out and said he wasn't under consideration."

The news, if confirmed officially, will see more speculation over the futures of Tottenham's star players such as Luka Modric and Gareth Bale.

Redknapp spoke to ESPN earlier this week and he played down reports that there was a rift with Levy and that he had already resigned.

Redknapp told ESPN: "I have no problem with the chairman, despite what is being said. It is not true what is being said, that I have a problem with Daniel. I don't.

"I haven't resigned, and I have no idea why it is being suggested that I have resigned. This is an outrage; an absolute liberty for people to be putting around this kind of rumour on the internet. It is not true, there is not a chance I will resign. Why should I? I have a year left on my contract."