England manager vacancy

FA didn't sound out Redknapp

April 30, 2012
By Harry Harris and ESPNsoccernet staff

ESPN can reveal that Harry Redknapp did not even receive an unofficial approach from the FA ahead of its surprise announcement that Roy Hodgson will be interviewed for the England manager's job on Monday.

Roy Hodgson and Harry Redknapp
GettyImagesHopefuls: Roy Hodgson and Harry Redknapp

• Harry holds no grudges over FA snub
• Hoddle: Hodgson a "good choice"

• Hodgson poised for England
• Hodgson in England talks

Tottenham manager Redknapp was widely expected to replace Fabio Capello as head coach having received huge public support from England players such as Rio Ferdinand and Wayne Rooney, plus members of the FA board including Bolton chairman Phil Gartside, who claimed the Spurs boss would make an "outstanding England manager".

And after months of relentless speculation that Redknapp was the manager-elect, the former West Ham boss was taken by "surprise" by the FA's decision not even to approach Spurs for permission to speak to him.

A source close to Redknapp told ESPN: "He took it pragmatically. I thought he would be upset, but he didn't appear to be. He has not been approached at all."

Redknapp had one more season left on a £3.5 million-a year-contract and it is thought the FA may have had to pay around £10 million in compensation to land him, even if his club had agreed to allow them to speak to the 65-year-old.

However, Redknapp made no secret of his desire to manage England and the FA's snub will come as a huge let down in his career; like some before him who were billed as 'the people's choice', such as Brian Clough, the chance may never come around again.

"I can't see it coming up for me now," Redknapp told The Times. "Good luck to Roy. Everyone else was saying I might get it but I never spoke to Daniel Levy (the Spurs chairman) about England."

The former Portsmouth manager is now turning his attention to his job at White Hart Lane and is waiting to learn whether he will be offered a new contract.

He added: "I've got a great job at Spurs and I'd like to continue that for as long as I can. It's up to Daniel whether I get a new contract but I'd like to stay on. We've had a few difficult weeks but it's been a great four years. I will plan the future here."

FA target Hodgson took Switzerland to the 1994 World Cup and qualified the nation for Euro '96 - at one point during his reign they were ranked third in the world - and also had spells with Finland and the United Arab Emirates.

The West Brom boss is out-of-contract in the summer and his club have quickly confirmed permission has been granted for talks to open. The FA could reach a successful conclusion very quickly, although his club would like the former Inter Milan manger to continue at the Hawthorns.

"The club are currently in negotiations with Roy about a new contract - his current deal ends on June 30 - and remain very keen to bring these talks to a successful conclusion," said West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace. "However, Roy has expressed a desire to explore this opportunity and, accordingly, the club have granted him permission to speak to the FA.

"Roy has done a fantastic job over the past 15 months and the fact the FA want to discuss the England role with him is testament to that.

"Roy is a proud Englishman and we can understand why he wants to speak to the FA about this highly-prestigious managerial position.

"However, we have emphasised to Roy how much we would like him to remain as our head coach and continue his major contribution to our project at the Hawthorns as we look to establish ourselves as a Premier League club."

It is still possible Hodgson will say no but that seems unlikely as, in an extensive interview earlier this year, the Londoner said the job would be "a tremendous honour".

With his contract almost up, Hodgson would command barely any compensation, another factor which may just have helped the FA reach their decision.

"I'm grateful to Jeremy and all at West Bromwich Albion for their co-operation in allowing us to approach Roy, who I have since spoken with," said FA chairman David Bernstein. "Roy is the only manager we have approached and we remain on course to make an appointment within the timescale we set out soon after Fabio Capello's departure.

"Further conversations will now take place with Roy and my Club England colleagues before any further announcements can be made."