Inter Milan news

Moratti dismisses Capello talk

February 10, 2012
By ESPNsoccernet staff

Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti has issued a statement on the club's official website denying Fabio Capello could replace Claudio Ranieri.

Fabio Capello
GettyImagesFabio Capello will be reunited with David Bernstein this week.

• Capello quits England
• Zenit hint at Sneijder interest

Inter have struggled to find any level of consistency since Jose Mourinho departed for Real Madrid in the summer of 2010, with Rafael Benitez, Leonardo and Gian Piero Gasperini all having left since.

Ranieri signed a contract until 2013 when he took the job in September, but doubts were raised over his long-term future following the recent 4-0 defeat to Roma.

Former Italy striker Gianluca Vialli said this week that he would "expect Massimo Moratti to call him [Capello] for the bench after Claudio Ranieri", and there have been reports in the press suggesting the move could happen sooner rather than later, but the president insists he has no plans to make managerial changes.

"The rumours circulating in the media regarding a possible change of coach at Inter, now or at the end of the season, are totally groundless," Moratti said. "Therefore, the latest rumour about Fabio Capello supposedly taking over at Inter is also groundless."

Capello, who has previously managed Italian giants AC Milan, Juventus and Roma, has also denied the reports.

Asked whether he could make a return to Serie A, he said: "In Italy, absolutely not. Now I want to relax."