Chelsea news

Blues confirm Alex offer

January 12, 2012
By ESPNsoccernet staff

Chelsea have confirmed they have received an offer for Brazilian defender Alex from a rival Premier League club, reported to be QPR.

Alex: Handed in transfer request at Chelsea
GettyImagesAlex: Handed in transfer request at Chelsea

• AVB hopeful over Drogba stay
• Gary Cahill talks drag on

New QPR boss Mark Hughes admitted on Wednesday that he was interested in signing players of the calibre of Alex, who handed in a transfer request last month, and Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas revealed a bid had been lodged for the centre-back.

"From what I know from my chief executive, there has been an approach from a Premier League club," Villas-Boas said. "It is a player who we have accepted a transfer request for, so we have to listen to offers.'

"We're just trying to reach the level of proposal we think is good for the player. Nothing has happened up to now, but we'll listen to all offers.

"We'll present anything to the player. He has to make a decision. He has generated interest from a lot of clubs.''

Chelsea are planning to replace Alex with Bolton's Gary Cahill, who they have struggled to agree personal terms with. Villas-Boas insisted he had set no deadline for a deal to be concluded, but was hopeful that would happen before the end of the week.

"Still an ongoing negotiation, not that we don't want it resolved as soon as possible,'' said Villas-Boas, who refused to criticise Cahill or his representatives over the player's wage demands. "I'm sure that all of the parties are protecting their interests.''

But Villas-Boas was confident of being able to move quickly for other targets should the Cahill deal collapse.

"We kept a couple of other options available and hopefully we can act quickly if that's the case,'' he said. "But I'm pretty confident it will happen.''

Meanwhile, Villas-Boas denied that Chelsea had made a reported £25 million bid for Lille star Eden Hazard but admitted he was a fan of the player.

The Blues boss confirmed Josh McEachran would go out on loan for the rest of the season - ostensibly to Swansea - after Saturday's game with Sunderland.

He also said Gael Kakuta's loan move to Dijon had not been concluded yet but expected it to happen "soon''.

The French club have announced the move on their website, but it is not yet finalised.