Transfer news

Sochaux make new Edu bid

January 11, 2012

Sochaux have made a further attempt to recruit Rangers midfielder Maurice Edu.

Maurice Edu Rangers injury
PA PhotosMaurice Edu has struggled with injury

The French club have lodged a second bid for the United States international after failing with a previous offer, reported to be in the region of £500,000.

Sochaux assistant coach Stephane Gilli told STV: ''We've made a second bid for Edu and we've made a bid for one player in the English Championship. We need an answer quickly. Our chairman has spoken to Rangers' chairman [Craig Whyte].

''Obviously we want the player but it's up to Rangers. We think he is a quality player. We need him and we need him quickly.''

Rangers boss Ally McCoist confirmed last week that the club had rejected a bid from Sochaux for 25-year-old Edu.

Speaking on Friday, he said: ''We rejected a bid from Sochaux for Maurice Edu and I can tell you that I want Maurice Edu to sign a new contract rather than go anywhere.''