Wehrman's uncertain Jets A-League future

January 7, 2012
By Guy Hand

Ex-Socceroo midfielder Kasey Wehrman is officially on the outer at the Newcastle Jets.

The A-League club's coach Gary van Egmond admits he has issues with Wehrman after accusing the veteran of being publicly critical of how the Jets are going about things.

Wehrman was left out of the Jets squad for the 2-1 loss to Melbourne Victory at AAMI Park on Saturday night.

Coming off contract at the end of this season, the 34-year-old looks to have little future at Newcastle after van Egmond laid down the law that Wehrman needs to get on "the same page" as his team-mates.

"We've got a belief, a system and a structure of what we're trying to do and, unfortunately, Kasey's come out publicly and stated a few things," van Egmond said.

"If he comes out and states that publicly, it obviously makes my decision fairly easy.

"Right at this moment, there's a coach who's in charge and there's a player.

"I'm in charge, this is how we'll do things, this is how we believe we'll become a better footballing club."

Wehrman had hit a stellar patch of form earlier this season, but has been in and out of the side in recent weeks.

He was rested from a game last month, and most thought van Egmond was doing similar for the Victory match after he played midweek in the 3-2 win over Gold Coast.

But van Egmond, who is attempting to get his side to play a high-tempo, pressing style of game, made it clear Wehrman had been left out for other reasons.

When asked if coach and player were trying to resolve their differences, van Egmond was cryptic and curt.

"We'll see how things go," van Egmond said.

But ex-England striker Francis Jeffers is making good progress from an ankle injury, and could well play next week in the derby against top-of-the-table Central Coast Mariners.

"He hasn't recovered from that but we hope for the game against Central Coast he'll be fine," van Egmond said.