Wales news

Wales decision to be made next year

December 14, 2011
By ESPNsoccernet staff

The Football Association of Wales will not make a decision over who will take over from the late Gary Speed until the New Year, with hopes that it will happen before their international friendly on February 29.

Raymond Verheijen
GettyImagesRaymond Verheijen previously said he wanted to continue Gary Speed's work

Speed was found dead at his home at the end of November and the FAW has planned a tribute to the country's former manager, captain and most-capped outfield player that night.

Wales assistant manager Raymond Verheijen said last week that he hopes a decision would be made quickly.

''Hopefully the board will respect Gary's wish so Osian Roberts and myself can lead the team to Brazil,'' he said.

''[There is] no need for new manager with new ideas. Our success was based on Gary's clear structure. Everybody knows what to do for mission Brazil 2014.''

Verheijen, who has helped coach Holland, Russia and South Korea's national sides, was brought into the Wales set-up when Speed was appointed in 2010.

The 40-year-old helped Speed to organise and inspire Wales to win four of their last five internationals.