UAE news

Trezeguet leaves Bani Yas

December 5, 2011
By ESPNsoccernet staff

Former France international striker David Trezeguet has left Bani Yas, despite only joining the UAE-based club in August.

David Trezeguet
GettyImagesDavid Trezeguet has moved on again.

Trezeguet, 34, requested to cancel his €1.6 million one-year contract last month after growing frustrated with a long-standing thigh injury that had forced him on to the sidelines.

The ex-Juventus forward made just two appearances for the club and, after negotiations with his agent Antonio Caliendo, has now been allowed to depart.

Bani Yas spokesperson Musaad Al Harthi said in a press statement: "David did not want to change his mind and we have to respect that. We wish him every success in the future and it is a shame that this did not work out."

New Bani Yas coach Gabriel Calderon maintained that he did not want to keep the player against his will.

"David is a good person and I have a lot of respect for him because he was a big player," Calderon said. "But I let him go. I told him to go. David did not want to be here and I do not want unhappy players at the club. It was best for everyone that he has gone."