Manchester City news

Balotelli escapes bathroom fire

October 22, 2011

Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli has escaped unhurt after a firework went off in his bathroom.

Mario Balotelli
GettyImagesMario Balotelli is no stranger to controversy

• Balotelli makes peace with Ferdinand

Two fire engines were sent to the home of Italy international Balotelli in Mottram St Andrew, Macclesfield, in the early hours of Saturday morning after the alarm was raised. They found a fire in the bathroom on the first floor of the detached property.

Four firefighters arrived wearing breathing apparatus and used two hose reel water jets to douse the flames, and a large fan was deployed to clear smoke.

A spokesman for Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Crews managed to put the fire out within half an hour of arriving but remained at the scene until 2.45am to prevent any possible flare-ups.

"Smoke alarms were fitted at the property and the occupiers were able to get out unharmed. The fire was caused by a firework.''

The cause of the blaze is being examined by fire investigators and police but is not being treated as suspicious.

• Catch action from every Barclays Premier League match on your mobile for FREE on the enhanced ESPN Goals app (UK only).