Warm-up sparked Tevez row
ESPNsoccernet understands that confusion over Carlos Tevez's warm-up was at the crux of the issue that sparked manager Roberto Mancini to claim the striker will never play for Manchester City again under his stewardship.
On Tuesday night, Mancini said Tevez "refused" to come on as a second-half substitute against Bayern Munich as City trailed 2-0 in their Champions League Group A match at the Allianz Arena.
The Argentina international has since issued a statement denying that he refused to enter the fray, while saying a misunderstanding was at the root of the dispute with Mancini, who indicated that Tevez's time at City may now be over.
A source close to the incident has now told ESPNsoccernet that the bust-up came about after Tevez felt aggrieved at having spent time warming up only to see midfielder Nigel de Jong introduced in place of forward Edin Dzeko.
Upon returning to the bench after seeing the change, Tevez was then told to warm-up once more, to which the Argentine replied "por qué [why]?". This response led to a feisty verbal exchange between Tevez and Mancini, the Italian angered by his player's questioning of the instruction.
It is understood that Tevez, who has made no secret of his desire to leave City, has been growing increasingly frustrated at being overlooked by Mancini having made just two starts in all competitions so far this season.
Tevez, signed by City in 2009 after he left rivals Manchester United, is reluctant to apologise to Mancini for the bust-up, but is sorry to the City fans over the incident.
• Harry Harris' new book: 19: The Remarkable Story of United's League Championship Record is available now.