FIFA scandal

Bin Hammam: I was expecting life ban

July 24, 2011

Mohamed Bin Hammam has alleged his life ban from all football-related activity was decided before FIFA's ethics committee heard his case.

Mohamed Bin Hammam
GettyImagesMohamed Bin Hammam: Case closed

• Cash was for 'expenses'
• Blazer welcomes Bin Hammam ban
• Bin Hammam banned for life
• Asia awaits Bin Hammam fate

Bin Hammam, 62, was found guilty of attempting to bribe members of the Caribbean Football Union at a meeting on the FIFA presidential campaign trail in Trinidad in May.

The Qatari, who has continued to maintain his innocence, claimed the decision was an act of revenge for his standing against Sepp Blatter for the FIFA presidency.

''I was expecting it actually,'' Bin Hammam said in an interview with Radio Five Live's Sportsweek programme. ''The ban for life, that shows how much these people are angry, how much they are full of revenge.''

Asked if he meant revenge for standing against Blatter, he replied: ''Exactly, there is nothing else.''

Bin Hammam also alleged the ethics committee was not independent.

He added: ''The ban for life has already been written before the investigation started. These are leaking from somebody.''

Bin Hammam, who was not present at the ruling, also claimed he still does not know the allegations against him.

''My legal team were almost sure that FIFA would use my appearance for their own purposes, not for the purpose of the trial,'' he said. ''We wrote to FIFA about 10 days back asking them what are the accusations against Bin Hamman because so far there are no accusations known to us.

''Surprisingly after some days, maybe one or two days before the trial, FIFA wrote back to my lawyers, telling them you will be know the accusations on the 22nd (July, last Friday). From that we knew that FIFA has already taken (the decision), they just wanted the platform to announce it.''

Asked if he knew the charges against him, Bin Hammam said: ''Not at all, we asked them officially, they did not answer.''

The Qatari revealed he would now take his case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

''The first step for me is the appeals committee of FIFA which is another kangaroo court,'' he said. ''Then after that when we go to CAS things are going to be much improved. At that time I think FIFA will not have the full stage themselves.

''Then I should go to the civil courts in Switzerland where we have full confidence to make the necessary justice.''

The Asian Football Confederation president also insisted he would not resign.

''I am not resigning, I am not going to resign. I will quit with the final say of Switzerland,'' he said.

FIFA vice president Jim Boyce claimed Bin Hammam did himself no favours by not putting his case to the ethics committee in person.

The Northern Irishman said: ''Personally I think he should have (turned up). I've always said that if someone has a case to answer for anything they should be prepared to face people and give their views.''