A-League news

Flores set to leave Adelaide

June 27, 2011
By ESPNsoccernet staff

Reigning Johnny Warren medalist Marcos Flores is set to depart Adelaide United to join Chinese Super League outfit Henan Jianye in a shock AU$500,000 deal.

Marcos Flores appears set to leave Adelaide United bound for China
GettyImagesMarcos Flores has returned to the A-League

Flores, 25, had been in negotiations with the Reds about extending his contract at the club, which was due to expire at the end of next season. However, after assessing a big money deal to live in China, the Argentinian playmaker informed Adelaide of his desire to leave.

"We were told on Friday afternoon by Marcos," club chairman Greg Griffin told the Adelaide Advertiser. "We tried to dissuade him, we are very disappointed."

The deal is expected to be completed as early as July 1, and Flores could take the pitch for Henan in their CSL clash next Saturday, subject to registration.

The news comes as a bitter blow to the South Australian club, with Flores, regarded as one of the finest players to grace the A-League, having developed a cult following amongst Adelaide supporters.