Transfer news

Keane: Birmingham bid a publicity stunt

January 18, 2011
By ESPNsoccernet staff

Tottenham striker Robbie Keane has questioned whether Birmingham ever had any intention of signing him, claiming that the club's failed attempt to buy him last week was "for a bit of publicity".

Robbie Keane chats with David Beckham in training
PA PhotosRobbie Keane and David Beckham: Discussing their frustration at moves not being completed?

• Blues pull out of Keane deal
• Pienaar agrees to join Spurs
• Tottenham's Pienaar bid accepted
• Van der Vaart recommends Van Bommel
• Woodgate finally makes Spurs return

Keane, 30, appeared set to join Birmingham but the club pulled out of a move to sign him in a £6 million deal after he failed to agree personal terms.

But the Ireland captain has placed the blame for the move breaking down squarely on Birmingham, and believes their offer was never serious.

"It was never going to happen,'' said Keane, who also insisted he knew nothing about reports linking him to West Ham. "I haven't heard anything at the moment but we will just see what happens.

"But like I said, that Birmingham stuff yesterday was a bit bizarre with a statement coming out from them, which I found very strange.

"A deal was never really on the table, so I just think that Birmingham was looking for a bit of publicity really.''

Keane, who joined Celtic on loan this time last year, admitted he did not know whether he would still be be at Spurs by the end of the transfer window.

"I'm not too sure - we will have to see what happens," he told Sky Sports News. "There are still a couple of weeks left, so I'm sure we'll find out by then.''