ESPN FC Extra: Fulham's new man
Alan Curbishley and Ray Wilkins have left Fulham with immediate effect, but Rene Meulensteen still remains under contract, according to reports.
It has been a whirlwind few days at Craven Cottage, with Friday's shock appointment of Felix Magath as first-team manager resulting in Meulensteen's spell at the helm ending after just 75 days.
The deposed head coach claimed on BBC radio that chief executive Alistair Mackintosh had told him that he had been "released", although the Press Association, the Daily Mirror and the Daily Telegraph all report that he has not left the West Londoners.
However, the same cannot be said for first-team technical director Curbishley and assistant manager Wilkins, who are understood to have left the club following talks with Magath.
Curbishley, 56, was brought in to work alongside Meulensteen on Christmas Eve, while 57-year-old Wilkins joined the coaching staff on Dec. 30. While those two are said to be leaving the club, the future of Meulensteen remains uncertain and Magath will no doubt face further questions this week about the Dutchman's role as Fulham prepare for Saturday's trip to fellow strugglers West Brom.
As of Tuesday morning, Fulham were yet to confirm the situation publicly.
Following the sacking of Martin Jol after a poor run of form, former Manchester United coach Meulensteen -- appointed head coach under his compatriot just weeks earlier -- took control of first-team duties on Dec. 1.
Speaking to Fulham TV over the weekend in his first interview since taking up the reins, Magath would not be drawn on the future of Meulensteen, preferring instead to focus on his belief that bottom-placed Fulham can beat the drop.