Transfer news

Mueller, Robben see futures at Bayern

January 23, 2014
By Stephan Uersfeld, Germany Correspondent

Bayern Munich forward Thomas Mueller has shrugged off rumours that he will move to Real Madrid, while Arjen Robben says he is happy to end his career at the Allianz Arena.

• Schaaf: The Bundesliga is back
• Dante denies using Man Utd
• Kroos yet to agree new Bayern deal

Mueller, 24, has been one of a number of players recently linked with a switch away from Bayern, with Spanish newspaper El Mundo Deportivo claiming last week that Madrid were preparing a 45 million euro bid.  

However the Germany international, who has been at Bayern since the age of 11, insists it is nothing more than conjecture.

“Over the past few weeks, months and years there has always been speculation,” Mueller told a news conference in Munich. “And you could always see the results of them until now.

“Interest from the outside is not unwelcome, but currently there is no reason to switch sides.”

Arjen Robben toasts his Bayern Munich hat-trick with Thomas Mueller
GettyImagesArjen Robben and Thomas Mueller are content with life at the Allianz Arena.

Another Bayern player who is not contemplating a move is former Madrid winger Robben. The 30 year old has another 18 months left on his current deal and, while contract talks have not yet begun, both club and player have in the past expressed their will to prolong.

“I have nothing to prove to anyone. What happens, happens,” Robben told AZ. “I wait, I am relaxed. The club has to make a move, and they will,” he added.

Robben, who scored the last minute winner in the 2013 Champions League final, also told the paper that he can also imagine ending his career at Bayern. “Why not? I feel super here. The atmosphere in the squad is class. Let’s see,” he said.

Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge was also relaxed about Robben’s contract situation, telling kicker: “Right before Christmas we gave him the signal that we would like to get round the table with him. We’ll do that soon. I am quite optimistic that we can find a solution.”

Amid ongoing speculation about Bayern’s defensive line next season -- it has been suggested a move for Chelsea’s David Luiz could be in the pipeline -- Rummenigge told kicker that the Bavarians “have currently not made any contact with another defender.”

One defensive addition could come in the form of Holger Badstuber, who has not played a minute of Bundesliga football since suffering a knee injury in December 2012 but could return to the action before the end of the season.

“I would love to welcome Holger Badstuber back,” Rummenigge said. “He would be like a new signing.”

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.