Inter hit back at Juve swap deal claims
Inter cancel Guarin-Vucinic deal
Inter Milan general manager Marco Fassone has hit back at Juventus' claims that they "lacked seriousness" in the negotiations over a potential swap deal involving Fredy Guarin and Mirko Vucinic.
• Wilson: Crisis time at Inter
The Nerazzurri pulled out of the deal on Tuesday and Juve's general manager Beppe Marotta on Wednesday told a news conference that they had reneged on an agreement which even their president Erick Thohir had sanctioned.
Fassone has come under fire from Inter fans for even entertaining the idea of swapping the 27-year-old for Vucinic, three years his senior. Their pressure is said to have led to the about-turn, although Fassone claims no agreement had been reached in the first place.
"As far as Inter are concerned, the negotiations had not been concluded," he told reporters in Milan. "In the afternoon, we informed Juventus that we were not taking them any further."
That version of events differs to the one laid out by Marotta in Turin on Wednesday. He claimed both players had already reached agreements with their potential new employers and that Thohir had sent a text message to the Bianconeri president Andrea Agnelli confirming the agreement.
With the deal falling through, both Guarin and Vucinic were forced to return to their clubs. Neither of them have trained since.
"We will welcome him here like we always have done because he's a great teammate who has always given a lot for us," said Inter forward Diego Milito to RAI television. "All I can tell Fredy is to be relaxed about things, whether he stays here or whether he leaves. It's always difficult when the transfer window is open."
That window is open until the end of the month and the futures of Guarin and Vucinic could still lie elsewhere.
"I have absolutely no intention of replying to Marotta's words," said Inter's honorary president Massimo Moratti. "They had warned us," he added to reporters in Milan.