ESPN FC: Rossi escapes serious injury
Fiorentina striker Giuseppe Rossi will travel to the United States this week in a bid to confirm with a knee specialist the extent of his latest injury.
La Viola and Italy fans feared the worst when Rossi, 26, was forced off against Livorno on Sunday with a knee problem.
The forward was out for 16 months from October 2011 to May 2013 after twice injuring his anterior cruciate ligament but his latest mishap does not appear as serious as first thought.
“The tests done so far have, for the time being, ruled out surgery," Rossi's agent Andrea Pastorello told Italian TV station Mediaset. “The knee is still swollen and we still have to wait to find out the extent of the injury and his recovery time.
“We will leave for the United States this week and see doctor (Richard) Steadman, who knows better than anyone Giuseppe's knee. "After his first (knee) operation, Giuseppe decided to go to professor Steadman and he is the only one that he wants to go and see."
Reports in Italy claim Rossi could be out of action for at least three months but could recover in time to play in his first World Cup this summer.
“We are taking it one day at a time," Pastorello said. “The World Cup is in five months' time but we are not looking that far ahead.
“Injuries are part of this profession. We will see what we can do in order for the player to return as soon as possible."
After his last prolonged absence, Rossi recovered his fitness and form to storm to the top of this season’s Serie A scoring charts with 14 goals and earned a recall to Cesare Prandelli’s Azzurri squad in October.