Transfer news

Rodgers plays down Tello reports

December 30, 2013
By Mike Whalley

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has played down reports of a January loan move for Barcelona attacker Cristian Tello.

Cristian Tello
GettyImagesCristian Tello has had limited first-team chances at Barcelona.

Gerrard close to return

The 22-year-old’s opportunities at the Camp Nou have been restricted by the wealth of options available to coach Gerardo Martino, and he said earlier this month that he may have to consider moving on.

Tello was linked with a season-long loan move to Anfield in the summer of 2012, although a deal ultimately failed to materialise.

A number of reports have suggested that a deal could be on again when the transfer window opens later this week, with Radio Marca reporting an agreement was close to completion.

But asked about the Tello link, Rodgers told a news conference on Monday: “I’m sure that will be the start of it [speculation], and there will be plenty more. I’ve nothing to add in terms of players coming in. There’s nothing imminent.”

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.