ESPN FC: Spurs search for new manager
Southampton boss Mauricio Pochettino says he has had no contact from managerless Tottenham about the vacant post at White Hart Lane.
The North London club axed Andre Villas-Boas on Monday after suffering a 5-0 hammering at home to Liverpool -- their second heavy defeat with a short space of time after a 6-0 loss at Manchester City.
The Tottenham Hotspur Supporters' Trust has called on chairman Daniel Levy to explain the sacking of Villas-Boas and also outline "his plans moving forward."
Pochettino's name has been mentioned in reports speculating about a possible successor but, as he prepared the Saints to face Spurs this weekend, the 41-year-old confirmed that nobody from Spurs had been in touch.
And he said he was happy to have the full backing of Saints chairman Nicola Cortese, explaining: "As a manager, what's really important is that the sporting aspect is under my control, in terms of signings.
"Without my agreement, no signings go through -- and those basic things are very important for any manager.
"I'm always very respectful with decisions that people make at other clubs. It's clear that it's never a good thing when a colleague is sacked.
"I would like to wish Andre Villas-Boas all the best in the future -- these things can happen in football. That's the bitter side of this game that no one wants, but can still happen."
Pochettino also played down speculation that star striker Rickie Lambert, who has been linked with a move to West Ham, could leave in the transfer window.
"Rumours do exist: apparently this season we have rumours from the president to the kit man," he said. "We don't know where these come from.
"We are not really concerned with the January transfer window, we are really happy with the players who are part of this team.
"Our younger players are getting a feel for what it means to be in this side. It gives us important balance, and we're really happy with their contribution."