Ballon d'Or news

Ribery 'sad' Ibra failed to make shortlist

December 11, 2013
By Ian Holyman, France Correspondent

Franck Ribery has said he is "a little bit sad" for Zlatan Ibrahimovic that the Paris Saint-Germain striker will miss out on the Ballon d'Or this year.

Bayern Munich star Ribery, 30, joined Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo on the three-man shortlist for the honour when it was announced earlier this week, meaning Ibrahimovic, 32, cannot pick up football's biggest individual prize for 2013.

Media in France in particular had suggested the Sweden international, who finished top scorer in Ligue 1 as PSG took the French title last term, might squeeze himself into the reckoning after some brilliant individual displays this season.

"I'm happy -- satisfied for myself, the club and for my whole family," Ribery, who was central to Bayern's treble win last season, told RTL. "I'm a bit sad for Ibrahimovic because he remains a great player. He did some great things with Paris Saint-Germain."

He added: "It's good for me to be among the three. We'll see. We're going to cross our fingers."

The winner of the award, which Messi has won the last four years, will be revealed in Zurich on 13 January.

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.