FFA concerned about Brazil security
FFA boss David Gallop has admitted the governing body has concerns over security at next year's World Cup with ongoing violence and civil unrest in Brazil.
The Socceroos recently experienced first hand the nation-wide protests when they played Brazil in Brasilia in September.
Police were forced to fire tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse dozens of protesters outside the Mane Garrincha stadium in the nation's capital less than an hour before the match while a heavy police presence surrounded the venue and helicopters circled overhead.
Brazilians have been taking to the streets since the Confederations Cup in June to protest government corruption and the level of expenditure on new stadiums for next year's showpiece while public services like transport, health and education suffer.
Concerns were renewed last week when Soccerex, a major football conference in Rio de Janeiro, was called off with organisers worried about the civil unrest.
Much will depend on the draw Australia are dealt on December 6, which will determine what cities the Socceroos will play in and where they'll set up camp, with the small coastal city of Vitoria north of Rio the likely base.
But while security planning will intensify after next month's draw, Gallop admitted the FFA was concerned and already had plans under way for the month-long tournament.
"There clearly are some concerns and that's why we've already retained local people to help us plan for that," he told AAP on Tuesday.
"We're already well advanced with our planning around the tournament.
"We've engaged local people in Brazil as well as our own staff who've been through World Cups before.
"It's certainly going to throw up some challenges and we need to make sure that things are run as smoothly from our end as possible."
FIFA has said it is preparing for violence at the tournament and, last week, England coach Roy Hodgson also said his national side's security team was "very, very concerned" about the unrest in Brazil.