Ter Stegen ignoring Barca rumours
Borussia Moenchengladbach goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen has played down continued rumours about a transfer to Barcelona, while his agent has insisted there has been no contact with the Spanish champions.
Earlier this month, reports in Spain said that both clubs were close to agreeing a fee, and, this week, the Spanish media claimed that the transfer was close to completion following a business trip from Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta.
On Thursday, Gerd von Bruch, ter Stegen’s agent, said that his client has not been approached by Barcelona.
“There has been no meeting and no offer,” he told Sport Bild.
He added that “two very interesting clubs are interested in Marc” but, asked if Barcelona were among those clubs, he replied: “No!”
Ter Stegen had earlier insisted in kicker that nothing has changed when asked about Barca’s interest:
"The state of play remains the same: I am in talks with Borussia Moenchengladbach," he said.
"I can’t stop the speculation. What is important to me that I am able to focus on my performances on the pitch, and those rumours not affect them,” he said. “I’d like to think I have done a good job in doing that so far. The club has my back, I am thankful for that."
Ter Stegen added that he has kept Gladbach in the loop all the time, a\nd added that there is a chance he could stay with the club he is contracted to until 2015.
"I have never ruled out signing a new deal here," he said. "This story will not go until the summer, that I can say," he added. "I want to take my time and make the right decision."