Premier League review

United show fighting spirit

October 26, 2013
By ESPN staff

Javier Hernandez scores to complete the Manchester United comeback against Stoke.GettyImagesJavier Hernandez scores to complete the Manchester United comeback against Stoke.

Manchester United produced a late comeback to defeat Stoke, while ten-man Arsenal stay top after beating Crystal Palace and Liverpool returned to winning ways as they eased past West Brom.

Premier League gallery Photo Gallery
Payne: United stumble to victory
Brewin: Gunners' gritty win
Usher: Liverpool click into gear

Meanwhile, Everton saw off Aston Villa, Southampton beat Fulham to move into third place and Norwich City played out a goalless draw with Cardiff City.

Wayne Rooney and Javier Hernandez rode to David Moyes' rescue as Manchester United netted twice in two minutes to seal a 3-2 win late on over Stoke.

United were stunned after four minutes when Jonny Evans kicked the ball against Peter Crouch and saw it go into the net. Old Trafford has been a happy hunting ground for Crouch in an England shirt -- he scored eight times for the national side there -- but this was his first Premier League goal at United's home.

Robin van Persie netted in the 43rd minute to level things up, extending his personal scoring run against Stoke to seven games, but United's relief was short-lived, with Marko Arnautovic curling in a free-kick in first-half added time.

But Rooney glanced the ball home in the 78th minute, before substitute Hernandez completed the turnaround two minutes later with a close-range header.

Arsenal extended their lead at the top of the table to five points after beating Crystal Palace 2-0 at Selhurst Park.

Mikel Arteta struck his first goal of the season from the penalty spot a minute into the second half after Adlene Guedioura brought down Serge Gnabry, but the Spaniard was seen off soon afterwards after fouling former Gunners striker Marouane Chamakh.

After withstanding pressure from the home side -- under caretaker manager Keith Millen after Ian Holloway’s exit -- Arsenal secured the win three minutes from time when Olivier Giroud headed in Aaron Ramsey's cross.

Liverpool's ‘SAS’ overpowered West Brom at Anfield as Luis Suarez scored a scintillating hat-trick before Daniel Sturridge chipped in with a fourth in a 4-1 victory.

Suarez's first goal saw him nutmeg Jonas Olsson before slotting low into the corner of the net, his second was a long-range header, and his hat-trick was completed 10 minutes after half-time.

James Morrison's penalty gave West Brom brief hope, but that was ended by a brilliant 25-yard chip from Sturridge.

Everton continued their strong start under Roberto Martinez as they ran out 2-0 winners at Aston Villa.

Paul Lambert’s side were given the opportunity of a perfect start when Seamus Coleman hauled down Christian Benteke in the box, leaving referee Anthony Taylor no option but to point to the spot, but goalkeeper Tim Howard dived high to his right to push Benteke’s effort over the crossbar in spectacular fashion.

Howard was called into action again shortly after as Benteke raced clean through, but the American once again thwarted the striker before denying Andreas Weimann with a fine challenge on the edge of the penalty area.

However, Leon Osman then found Romelu Lukaku in plenty of space on the edge of the area and the on-loan Chelsea striker made no mistake in drilling in from 16 yards. Osman then wrapped up the points in the final ten minutes, finding the bottom corner after he was expertly teed up by former Villa midfielder Gareth Barry.

Southampton showed no signs of letting up their superb start to the season as they moved up to third in the table with a 2-0 home win over Fulham in the late kick-off.

Mauricio Pochettino's side have yet to lose at St Mary's this campaign and that record looked to stay intact when Rickie Lambert was left unmarked to head in a corner for their opener.

Lambert was denied a second minutes later when his low effort crashed off the post, but the home team soon doubled their lead when Jay Rodriguez converted following good work from his strike partner.

Fulham offered little in terms of a response, particularly after the break, as the Saints closed out victory in impressive fashion to continue their march up the table.

Norwich and Cardiff were only separated by a point prior to kick-off at Carrow Road, and it stayed that way as they played out an entertaining 0-0 draw.

Steven Caulker almost had the away side in front during a relatively even first half, the defender heading wide from six yards out. Norwich grew in stature, though, and created a host of chances following lengthy spells of possession. Robert Snodgrass could not find the target when eight yards out, while Jonny Howson and Leroy Fer were both denied.

After the break, Gary Hooper -- making his full Premier League debut at Carrow Road -- could not convert with his header before Nathan Redmond’s powerful effort was well saved by ex-Norwich goalkeeper David Marshall.

Marshall brilliantly denied Fer late on as Malky Mackay’s men somehow survived a scramble in their own box, before Norwich controversially had a late goal ruled out. Fer blasted into an empty net from a throw-in but referee Michael Jones ruled the effort out to deny Chris Hughton’s side all three points.


Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.