Dortmund news

Dortmund anger over Jurgen Klopp ban

October 8, 2013
By Stephan Uersfeld, Germany Correspondent

Borussia Dortmund have hit out at UEFA for not telling them the reasons behind their decision to ban coach Jurgen Klopp for a second Champions League match.

Earlier this month, European football’s governing body extended the ban from one game to two, Dortmund confirmed on their official website.

Klopp had been banned for an initial game following his sending off during Dortmund's 2-1 Champions League defeat at Napoli, where he subjected the fourth official to a torrent of abuse after Gonzalo Higuain opened the scoring for the Italian side.

That meant he sat in the stands for the 3-0 win over Marseille, but the extension means he will also be off the touchline for the game at Arsenal on October 22, with assistant Zeljko Buvac taking control from the sidelines again.  

Dortmund CEO Aki Watzke said the club were considering an appeal, but had yet to hear from UEFA.

With the grounds for the judgment to extend the ban not having been delivered to the club, a frustrated Watzke told kicker on Monday: “It is striking that you don’t get the grounds for the judgment directly with the verdict.”

He said German sports bodies handled things differently and it was “hard to understand” why the club had to write to UEFA to be given the reasons for a disciplinary judgment.

The club's sporting director, Michael Zorc, told Ruhr Nachrichten: “We can only wait and see.”

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.