Liverpool warned against Suarez deal
ESPN FC: Unpredictable Premier League
Former Liverpool striker John Aldridge has urged the club to hold back on plans to give Luis Suarez a new contract.
Aldridge, a league title and FA Cup winner who scored 50 top-flight goals for Liverpool between 1987 and 1989, believes Suarez still wants to leave Anfield and could try to engineer a move away.
The 26-year-old marked his return to Premier League action by scoring twice in a 3-1 win at Sunderland on Sunday.
It was his first league appearance since completing a 10-match domestic ban imposed for biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic during a match at Anfield in April.
Suarez gave a series of interviews over the summer stating that he wanted to leave Liverpool -- who responded by rejecting two bids from Arsenal and making clear that he would not be sold.
Since then, there have been suggestions that the striker will be offered an extension to his Liverpool contract, which runs until 2016.
Manager Brendan Rodgers indicated last Friday, though, that there would be no rush on talks.
Aldridge told the Metro: "Suarez was very keen to leave Liverpool in the summer and I have no doubt that he will look to get away once again.
"So why try to get him to commit to the club now, so soon after he did the dirty on them with his bid to join Arsenal?
"Liverpool [managing director] Ian Ayre may have told the media he would consider a new contract for Suarez in a bid to dampen down any fresh speculation over the future of the striker.
"But if Liverpool fail to qualify for the Champions League once again, I’m sure Suarez will want to leave and I would advise my old club to get as much money for him as possible and rebuild the team with the new funds."