Lewandowski clarifies Bayern remark
Borussia Dortmund striker Robert Lewandowski has backtracked on his comment that he is to sign a contract with Bayern Munich in January.
Lewandowski, 25, spoke to the press following Dortmund's 2-0 win over 1860 Munich on Tuesday and appeared to have confirmed the long-standing reports he will ink a four-year deal at the Allianz Arena.
Asked whether he will be able to officially announce the Bayern switch in January, he had said: “Yes, because I can officially sign the new contract in January.”
However, the Poland international claimed on Wednesday that his words were down to a misunderstanding with the interviewer, and that there is no deal yet agreed with the European champions.
“Looking at the video [of his interview] again, I became frightened of it,” Lewandowski told Sport Bild. “What I really wanted to express right after the game was that I will be able to pen a new deal in January at the earliest.
“I only wanted to answer the question of when I will finally be taking a stand on my future. Like I have said many times, I want to leave Borussia Dortmund in the summer. Everything else I can only say in January.”
Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc refused to discuss the issue in public, telling Ruhr Nachrichten: “From our side there is nothing more to be said. We want to have a reasonable last year [with Lewandowski] -- both sides have said that -- and things are good.”
Lewandowski, whose contract at Dortmund expires next summer, has been the subject of a transfer saga between Dortmund and Bayern since the end of last season, and had hoped to make the switch to the Treble holders in the summer.
Dortmund rejected the transfer and instead, after the two parties came close to a fall-out, granted Lewandowski, who has scored 58 goals in 104 Bundesliga games since joining Dortmund from Lech Poznan in 2010, a hefty pay rise in August, despite his impending exit.