Everton news

Leighton Baines to be offered new deal

September 5, 2013
By ESPN staff

Everton manager Roberto Martinez has indicated that the club is planning to offer Leighton Baines an improved contract.

Leighton Baines
GettyImagesLeighton Baines has two years remaining on his current deal.

The England left-back had been targeted by Manchester United boss David Moyes this summer but, while Marouane Fellaini eventually made a £27.5 million move to Old Trafford, Everton refused to sell Baines

"From having interest to a situation where you have to consider a move is very different,” Martinez told reporters. “Leighton is a very special footballer and a special player for Everton and we are looking forward to him enjoying the challenge that lies ahead.”

• O'Farrell: Productive day capped by Baines retention

Martinez indicated that the 28-year-old, whose current contract ties him to the club until 2015, will now be offered an extension.

"When the window is open I think it's the wrong time to speak about those things and so we hadn't discussed it but, now the window is closed, we are going to look into all the players in the squad and see where their contracts are up to,” he said.

"Then, individually, we will look to address that. It would just have created more instability if we had done that while the window was open."

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.