ESPN FC: Man United's trio of targets
Roma coach Rudi Garcia is positive Daniele de Rossi will remain at the Stadio Olimpico this season, despite reports that Manchester United have made a bid for the midfielder.
• Payne: Rooney ready for Anfield
United are believed to have submitted an offer of £10 million for the Italy international, with Red Devils boss David Moyes keen to bolster his midfield before the end of the transfer window.
However, Garcia is hopeful that De Rossi, 30, who has previously been linked with Chelsea and Manchester City, will not be tempted to move to Old Trafford.
"Daniele de Rossi isn't only a big player, but he's also a big man," Garcia said. "He has been here at Roma for a long time and he wants to play with this jersey.
"We spoke when he came back from his holidays and we said that, if it got past a certain date, he would certainly remain with us. He will stay here for the whole season and this is something that satisfies me a lot."
United are also reportedly interested in bringing Athletic Bilbao’s Ander Herrera to Old Trafford, with Athletic president Josu Urrutia claiming on Friday that the club has rejected a bid for the midfielder.
"We have had an offer for Ander Herrera. Our club is different, it is based on sentiment. Our objective isn't to make money," he said.
"We received the offer last night and have communicated that we will not negotiate for our players. For a player to go, first the player must express his desire to leave the club and pay the release clause."
When asked about United’s interest in Herrera, Moyes said: "We would try not to disclose our bids, if that's possible. We would just let the clubs deal with it and try to do it in the professional manner."