Barcelona news

Busquets delighted with new Barca deal

August 27, 2013
By Dermot Corrigan, Spain Correspondent

Sergio Busquets has officially committed his long-term future to Barcelona after putting pen to paper on a new contract until June 2018.

Sergio Busquets Barcelona
GettyImagesSergio Busquets made his Barcelona debut under Pep Guardiola in 2008.

Busquets, 25, agreed to extend his existing deal during talks with club officials in July, and the official signing ceremony took place at the Camp Nou’s offices on Tuesday.

The Spain international, whose new contract includes a €150 million release clause, was accompanied at the event by Barca president Sandro Rosell, sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta and his agent.

Over recent seasons a number of clubs outside La Liga, including Manchester City and Paris Saint Germain, have reportedly tried to lure Busquets away from Camp Nou, however he has never given any indication of an interest in playing elsewhere.

Busquets told Barca TV after signing the contract that he was just very happy with how things were going for him at present. "I am very happy to stay at the best team in the world, which is also my lifelong club," he said.

"My objectives are to keep improving day to day. I do not know if I am a reference for the cantera [academy], but that is what I try to be, to work for the team, so that the fans are happy with me. The truth is that I cannot complain about how things are going for me."

A graduate of Barca’s La Masia academy Busquets made his senior debut in September 2008 under then coach Pep Guardiola. He has since made 238 first team appearances -- winning two Champions League trophies, four Primera Division titles, two Copas del Rey and two World Club Cups.

Asked if he might break the 500 game mark like team-mate Carles Puyol, or even pass 600 matches for the club like Xavi Hernandez, Busquets was cautious.

"It would be a dream to arrive at the number of games which Xavi and Puyol have played," he said. "It is very difficult, but it would be nice." Next up for Busquets -- who was rested for Barca’s 1-0 win at Malaga on Sunday night -- should be Wednesday’s Spanish Supercopa second leg against Atletico Madrid at the Camp Nou.

Barca hold the upper hand having drawn 1-1 in last week’s first game at Atletico’s Estadio Vicente Calderon, but Busquets said: "It will be a difficult game. Atletico are a tough opponent, they close up well in defence and then hit you well on the break. But we are playing at home, in our stadium, with our fans, and that should help us.”

Barca have also announced that Cristian Tello will sign his new contract on Friday morning. The 22-year-old forward's new deal will also run until the end of the 2017-18 season and will have a buy-out clause of 25 millions euros.

Tello scored eight goals in 34 first-team appearances last season and also featured in Barca's 7-0 mauling of Levante in their opening game of this campaign.

Information from the Press Association was used in this report.

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.