Roberto Martinez has confirmed Everton have received no new bids from Manchester United for Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines, while adding that he believes the transfer window is “getting out of hand”.
The Toffees rejected United’s combined offer of £28 million for midfielder Fellaini and left-back Baines on Monday.
And Martinez has revealed that Everton chairman Bill Kenwright was “angry and disappointed” by the double bid, which valued Fellaini at £16 million -- just over a fortnight after a £23.5 million buy-out clause in his contract expired -- and Baines at £12 million.
The Everton manager has praised the professionalism of both players following the bids, but feels that the transfer window is open for too long during the summer.
Asked if there had been further offers for Fellaini or Baines, Martinez said: “No. Everything has been quiet on that front.
“I think it’s time for the football authorities to look into the situation. The transfer window is getting out of hand. It’s really, really affecting the values of the league. It’s affecting the human side of the players in a very unfair manner.”
Martinez says he would be happy to stick with a January transfer window, but believes there should be no summer deals once the season kicks off. This summer’s transfer window will not close until September 2.
“It’s not for me to discuss how long the window needs to be open,” he said. “I’m the first one to understand that you need to have the window, and that you need to have the second window right in the middle of the season. But you cannot have the window open when you’ve got games.
“You listen to clubs say they’re not going to make bids to be respectful to the game, or that a bid has been made at the wrong time. Well, everyone is within the law. You can make a bid, you can receive a bid, and the players can be affected by it. Clearly it’s time to help the competition, to help the fans, to help the players with this matter.”
United -- managed by former Everton boss David Moyes -- had an initial £12 million bid for Baines rejected in July.
Kenwright warned Moyes off trying to sign his former players earlier this summer, and Martinez confirmed that the chairman had been angered by this week’s approach.
He said: “You need to understand that when you make a massive, massive investment on a player and he becomes one of the best performers in the club, and then you get a bid below what the club invested, then as a chairman, you are going to be angry and disappointed, and you’re going to be hurt.
“But those are the emotions that football brings. The chairman has always been in control of the situation. That gives you greater stability. That’s the way we’re going to carry on doing things -- informing our fans, making sure they know what’s going on.”
Fellaini and Baines are set to be involved when Martinez, appointed as Moyes’ replacement in June, takes charge of his first Premier League home game as Everton boss this Saturday against West Brom.
Centre-back Antolin Alcaraz, however, remains sidelined with a hamstring injury, while midfielder Darron Gibson is a doubt with a knee problem.
Right-back Tony Hibbert is close to fitness following a calf injury, and could return to the squad either on Saturday or against Stevenage in the Capital One Cup next Wednesday.
Centre-back Sylvain Distin, though, could miss out with a knock sustained during last Saturday’s 2-2 draw at Norwich.