Manchester City news

Zabaleta signs new City deal

August 19, 2013
By ESPN staff

Manchester City defender Pablo Zabaleta has signed a new four-year contract with the club -- saying the Etihad Stadium “feels like home”.

• Mooney: City set to strike back

Pablo Zabaleta
PA PhotosZabaleta has committed himself to City until 2017.

Zabaleta, 28, agreed the new deal as City, now under the management of Manuel Pellegrini, prepare to open their season at home to Newcastle on Monday night.

The Argentina international, last season’s Player of the Year, is now committed to City until 2017 and told the club’s official website: “I have been here for five years and it feels like home. Signing a contract extension with the club makes me feel very happy.

“I think we have got a great squad, fantastic players and hopefully we can win something this year.

“I am sure the fans will respond very well as always. They are a big support for the team week in week out, and hopefully at the end of the season the fans and players can celebrate with a trophy.”

Zabaleta, who joined City from Espanyol in 2008 and has made 175 appearances for them, hailed Manuel Pellegrini as the right manager to help regain the Premier League title lost to neighbours United last season.

"I think he is a great coach and a great person,” he told the official website last month. "It is time to look forward and be positive and try to win the title back."

Pellegrini has brought in Fernandinho, Jesus Navas, Alvaro Negredo and Stevan Jovetic for around £90 million.

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.