Fabregas confirms Barcelona stay
Cesc Fabregas says he has never considered leaving Barcelona this summer, and his only thought is to stay and be a success at the Camp Nou.
Fabregas was targeted by Manchester United, with the Premier League champions reportedly lodging three separate bids with Barca, and new Red Devils boss David Moyes regularly talking about the possibility of the move taking place.
Fabregas, 26, had dismissed the possibility of a transfer while on Confederations Cup duty with Spain in June, but then went silent on his return to pre-season training with the Catalan club. This prompted speculation that he was actively considering returning to England, or was perhaps using the uncertainty to lever a new and improved Barca contract.
Finally speaking from Kuala Lumpur as the Catalan club continued their pre-season Asian tour, Fabregas appeared to put all of that talk to bed.
"My dream is to play here, I have never considered leaving," he told Mundo Deportivo. "I am at the best club."
United responded on Thursday evening when a spokesman said: "We appreciate Cesc is a contracted player at Barcelona and completely respect everything Cesc has said today.''
Fabregas said stories which suggested he had already spoken with United, and even agreed personal terms, had been pure fabrications, and that he had been reassured by the regular public statements of support from Barca figures including Tito Vilanova, Andoni Zubizarreta, Tata Martino and Josep Maria Bartomeu.
"Things were invented," he said. "I do not understand how after Tito, Zubi, Tata and Bartomeu all said they counted on me. I have not spoken with any other club for two summers now."
It was also untrue that he or his representatives had tried to use the interest from England to try to get a pay-rise out of Barcelona, he said.
"I have messages from Bartomeu and from the president [Sandro Rosell]," Fabregas. "I have spoken face-to-face with them and have not had any problem. And neither is it true that I have asked for a new contract."
Asked about his silence on his future in recent weeks, the Spain international said he had not felt the need to talk as in his own mind there had been no uncertainty at all.
"I have always been relaxed," he said. "I did not have to clear up anything because in my head I was only going to stay at Barca."
Fabregas did, however, admit that he had not always been happy with his own performances at Barcelona since rejoining the club in the summer of 2011.
"What I need to do is play better, because I am at the most demanding and the biggest club in the world," he said.