Transfer news

Wolfsburg make Gustavo bid

July 27, 2013
By ESPN staff

Wolfsburg have firmed up their interest in Bayern Munich midfielder Luiz Gustavo with an official approach for the player.

Talking to German newspaper Bild, Wolfsburg director of sport Klaus Allofs said: "We've made contact and expressed our interest. We want to do things correctly. There are still some obstacles to overcome, however."

Gustavo’s opportunities for first-team football at Bundesliga champions Bayern look to be limited by the summer arrivals of Mario Gotze from Borussia Dortmund and Thiago Alcantara from Barcelona. He has not featured during new coach Pep Guardiola’s pre-season plans so far.

Allofs had said earlier in the week that Wolfsburg were willing to fight for the 26-year-old’s services although he added that he remained confident in the depth of the squad.

Gustavo, who has two years to run on his current deal, was reported as saying: "I have a contract until 2015 and want to see it out."

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.