Manchester United manager David Moyes has confirmed that the Premier League champions have tabled another bid for Barcelona and Spain midfielder Cesc Fabregas.
The news comes a week after Old Trafford confirmation of the first bid for ex-Arsenal star Fabregas, 26, reported to have been of around €30 million.
Moyes, speaking in Yokohama during United’s pre-season tour of East Asia and Australia, said: “As I understand it, Ed [Woodward, executive vice-chairman] had a response [to the first offer].
“We have made a second offer, but Ed is dealing with it rather than me.''
Woodward flew back from the pre-season tour ahead of schedule last week to carry out “urgent transfer business”, with some speculation suggesting that could be connected with a mooted move to Chelsea by Wayne Rooney.
Uruguay Under-20 player Guillermo Varela is the only summer arrival at Old Trafford so far, and Moyes said patience was needed as the champions pursued new additions.
"When you are interested in good players, you want to give it every opportunity to materialise," he said.
"I will hope things will continue to move forward. At this moment in time, I can only tell you that Ed Woodward is working hard to try and make the deals happen."
He said he could understand why some United fans might be anxious about the lack of new faces, but explained: "You have to remember I only started on July 1, so in truth I have only been in the job three weeks at this present time."
Speaking on Thursday, Moyes had said he was hopeful of developments in the club's pursuit of Fabregas "in the next day or so".
The Scot told reporters he also hoped to have “good news” in the coming days concerning other new acquisitions, thought to include Benfica defender Ezequiel Garay.
And he hinted that a move for Fabregas may not be the only business to be completed before the close of the transfer window.
“As far as players we are looking to bring in [are concerned], we’re working hard to do that, we’re trying very hard to make some additions to the squad and hopefully there will be some good news,” Moyes said.
“But I might have a little bit more information in the next day or so on how it [the potential Fabregas deal] is going.”
Information from the Press Association was used in this report.