Moratti plays down Inter sale talk
Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti has played down reports he is on the verge of relinquishing control of the club to Indonesian investor Erick Thohir.
Negotiations over the sale of a stake in the Serie A club have been on-going all summer, with Moratti repeating his reluctance to relinquish his majority holding, and presidency.
A report in Italy’s Gazzetta dello Sport claimed he had been convinced to let the Indonesian media mogul take 75% of the club, injecting €300 million into the 2010 UEFA Champions League winners, with the deal thought to be close to completion.
One of Thohir’s advisors, Anthony Macri, told the Gazzetta: “Erick is looking for the right formula to co-exist with the Moratti family. He doesn’t want to destroy the past; he respects it. The objective is to make Inter a global brand like United, Liverpool and Real are today.
“Erick has seen that there is a market for these clubs in Indonesia and so he asked himself: ‘Why not Inter?' Erick says that Italian football has the chance of becoming more global.”
However, Moratti played down the speculation when asked by journalists about the deal on Friday.
Asked if a meeting was planned, he replied: “No, no. I was informed about (the stories) and I read them myself this morning. I keep learning about what's going on thanks to the newspapers.”
Moratti, 68, has been at the helm of Inter since 1995 and oversaw five Serie A titles in a row between 2006 and 2010.
Last year was their worst under his guidance, though, with the Nerazzurri missing out on a place in Europe after finishing ninth.