Transfer news

Gomis no longer in Lyon's plans

July 10, 2013
By Ian Holyman, France Correspondent

Lyon legend Bernard Lacombe, an adviser to club president Jean-Michel Aulas, has told Bafetimbi Gomis he is no longer part of the club's plans.

Ligue 1
PA PhotosLacombe has criticised Gomis.

Lacombe said he had been disappointed by the behaviour of the France international striker, who has said he wants to leave the club.

Gomis has a year left on his contract and Lyon are determined to get some return on a player they purchased from arch-rivals Saint-Etienne for €15 million in 2009.

Aulas has publicly declared that Gomis, 27, should seek a new club if he wants to feature for France at next summer's World Cup.

The player, who recently turned down a move to Swansea, has not trained with Remi Garde's first-team squad during their pre-season preparations, and told L'Equipe he was unhappy about the way the club had treated him.

But Lacombe told the club's official website that Gomis should blame himself, claiming he had broken a promise made half a year ago.

"He told us he would not leave the club for free. He's changed his mind," he said. "What disappoints me is what he told L'Equipe.

"He doesn't have the right to attack the coach like he did. Remi [Garde] put his faith in him, even when he wasn't on top form. You don't have the right to attack the institution.

"He's a player that's given a lot to the club. It's not a question of the sporting value of the player, but he is no longer part of Remi's project."