Ricardo Carvalho is convinced Cristiano Ronaldo will renew his contract at Real Madrid, but he believes Fabio Coentrao is seeking an exit amid interest from Benfica.
Speculation persists over Ronaldo, who has at times appeared equivocal about his plans for the future.
Ronaldo recently took to Twitter to deny claims he was close to renewing his contract, which is due to expire in 2015, as rumours emerged that Carvalho’s new club, Monaco, were interested in his services. David Moyes was coy when asked about his interest in the player at his first press conference as Manchester United manager on Friday.
However, Ronaldo has indicated that he intends to stay in Spain and Carvalho, who moved to Ligue 1 this summer after three years at the Bernabeu, expects his compatriot to sign a new deal.
“I’m sure that he’ll renew,” he told Portuguese newspaper A Bola. “Every player who leaves Madrid ends up regretting it. Cristiano is a winner, and always wants to win, so I’m sure that he’ll stay on.”
The 35-year-old is less convinced about Coentrao’s future, with the Portugal left-back having come in for criticism since his 2011 move from Benfica.
“I get the feeling that he thinks he should leave, that it is the best thing for his future,” Carvalho said. “I think, though, that he could stay. In the last year he has played regularly and played well.
“He is a great left-back and even the people who criticised him have changed their minds and now recognise how good he is. I personally think he belongs at Real Madrid.”
Benfica coach Jorge Jesus has confirmed his club’s interest in re-signing the 25-year-old.
"I would like to bring Coentrao back to the club next year,” he told Benfica’s official TV channel. "We were the ones who helped him develop when few had faith in him."