Serie A news

Mazzarri rubbishes Cassano claims

July 6, 2013
By Ben Gladwell, Italy Correspondent

Inter Milan coach Walter Mazzarri denies that he is the reason why Antonio Cassano left the club to join Parma this week.

Antonio Cassano woe Inter milan v Fiorentina
APAntonio Cassano has endured a topsy-turvy career

Cassano completed a move from the Nerazzurri to the Gialloblu on Wednesday and suggested he had been pushed out of the door by the new coach following his arrival from Napoli.

The 30-year-old forward claimed at a press conference on Thursday that Mazzarri had gone back on his word, initially guaranteeing him a place in his starting XI and then deeming him surplus to requirements.

Mazzarri refuted Cassano's claim at a press conference of his own, though, saying he had not had any contact with the player at all since last December.

"I don't see how I could have decided on my first-teamers and reserves before having even coached them," said Mazzarri.

"I'd like to make it clear that the last time I spoke with Cassano was when Napoli played Inter in the first half of the season. Back then, all I did was greet him on the field."

Cassano may have left on bad terms with Mazzarri, with whom he also had a falling out during their days together at Sampdoria, but the Milanese club's president Massimo Moratti insists the player leaves behind a positive legacy.

"It was an honour to have him with us," said a statement on Inter's website. "We can count ourselves lucky to have had him wear our colours. He will always be remembered affectionately and with great respect by all Inter fans."

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER