Monaco have continued their summer spending spree after paying Lyon €5 million for teenage striker Anthony Martial, who has signed a three-year deal with the principality club.
Martial, 17, has made just four appearances for the Lyon first-team but is regarded as an excellent prospect and is a France youth international at Under-16, Under-17 and Under-18 level.
OL were keen to hold on to the youngster but were backed into a corner because of their failure to offload Bafetimbi Gomis. Lyon are listed on the Paris Stock Exchange and had to sell at least one player by the end of Sunday to be able to report balanced yearly results.
Gomis had been told he could look for a new club but despite being linked with Swansea, Cardiff and Shakhtar Donetsk, the striker refused to leave the Stade de Gerland.
A Lyon statement said: “Having not been able to complete the move of any player approached for a transfer by 30 June, notably Bafetimbi Gomis, the club considered Monaco's offer for Anthony Martial.
“The club completed Anthony Martial's move for five million euros plus an important share on a future transfer.''
Monaco technical director Riccardo Pecini felt the capture of Martial was a major coup, saying: “We are very happy that Anthony has joined us. His a big hope of his generation.''
Monaco have already splashed out more than €100 million ahead of their return to Ligue 1, notably bringing in Porto duo James Rodriguez and Joao Moutinho, as well as Radamel Falcao from Atletico Madrid.