Transfer news

Stoke: No bids for midfielder Palacios

June 24, 2013
By Ian Edwards

Stoke City will give Wilson Palacios a final chance to prove he has a Premier League future at the club after he failed to secure a move away from the Britannia Stadium.

Wilson Palacios
PA PhotosPalacios could yet have a Stoke future

Palacios, 28, had appeared destined to leave Stoke last season - but a potential move to Mexico failed to materialise and no further interest in the Honduras international has since been expressed.

Stoke are scheduled to return for pre-season training under new manager Mark Hughes in two weeks, with a ten-day trip to America on their early schedule.

Palacios, signed by former boss Tony Pulis from Spurs for £6 million, will be given a chance to stake his claim for a place in the touring party.

Hughes has made it clear that all players he inherited from Pulis would start afresh this summer, and Stoke chairman Peter Coates confirmed there had been no bids for Palacios.

"He will be back for pre-season training along with everybody else as things stand at the moment," he told The Sentinel.

"I know he has played for Honduras recently [in a World Cup qualifier against the USA], so let's hope that has done him some good.

"Mark wants to have a good close look at everybody when they do return to the club, because he wants to make his own assessment of what is in front of him."

Coates said one of Stoke's main priorities this summer would be to sign a left-back, with PSV Eindhoven's Erik Pieters high on the list.

Pieters is entering the final year of his contract with the Dutch club and is available for £3.5 million.

"We are certainly looking for a left-back, because we've only got Mark Wilson at the moment - and he was brought in as a midfield player,” Coates explained.

"We haven't made any decision [on Pieters] because we are looking at options, but he's certainly a possibility."