Transfer news

Dortmund deny Gundogan exit talk

June 24, 2013
By Stephan Uersfeld, Germany Correspondent

Borussia Dortmund CEO Aki Watzke has quashed rumours in the Spanish press that Ilkay Gundogan could be on his way to Real Madrid this summer.

Mesut Ozil, Ilkay Gundogan
GettyImagesIlkay Gundogan has been linked with a move to Real Madrid

At the weekend, Marca reported that Madrid were back in the hunt for Gundogan, 22. According to the newspaper, the midfielder’s representatives met with officials from the Spanish side last Friday to discuss a potential summer transfer.

Los Blancos had been linked with the Germany international, who is under contract at Dortmund until 2015, earlier this year.

Despite such speculation, however, Gundogan stated just last week that he would definitely be playing for the Bundesliga club in 2014, and that talks regarding a new contract were about to get under way.

And Watzke’s words have only added to the belief that the former Nurnberg man is still set to be at Westfalenstadion come the start of the new season.

“If there were such talks we would know about them,” he told kicker on Monday, before hinting at Dortmund’s healthy relationship with Madrid, strengthened through their four Champions League meetings last season as well as their dealings regarding Nuri Sahin.

Gundogan, meanwhile, has backed Dortmund to bring in a number of top-quality signings this summer.

“I am totally calm and absolutely sure we will sign a few good players,” he told reporters at a charity match in Wurzburg on Sunday. “If not by the first training session, then we will still have a bit of time after that.”

The midfielder also said he was not worried about a possible Robert Lewandowski departure.

“Everyone knows how important Lewi is for us,” he said. “He has one year left on his contract, and that’s why I’d like to think that he will play another season for us.”

Gundogan added that if Lewandowski was to leave, then Dormtund “will react to it accordingly”.