Transfer news

Benfica play down Coentrao return

June 18, 2013
By Dermot Corrigan, Spain Correspondent

Benfica have poured cold water on reports that they could re-sign Fabio Coentrao from Real Madrid.

Fabio Coentrao could be leaving Real Madrid
PA PhotosCoentrao may be on his way out of Real Madrid

Coentrao, 25, was a favourite of former Madrid boss Jose Mourinho but is reportedly now surplus to requirements at the Bernabeu.

Big-spending Ligue 1 side Monaco were reportedly preparing an €18 million bid for the Portugal international left-back. They have already brought in Radamel Falcao, James Rodriguez, Ricardo Carvalho and Joao Moutinho, all of whom have the same agent, Jorge Mendes, as Coentrao.

A Bola claimed earlier this week that the defender would prefer to return to the Estadio da Luz, but a Benfica spokesperson told Spanish news agency EFE, in comments reported by AS, that such a move was unlikely to happen.

"It is worth remembering that the player was sold, two years ago, to Real Madrid for €30 million," the spokesperson said.

Coentrao played two full seasons at Benfica, winning the 2009-10 Portuguese title, and since moving to Madrid has added the 2011 Copa del Rey and 2012-13 Primera Division medals to his collection.