Transfer news

Montpellier in hunt for striker Cisse

June 18, 2013
By Ian Holyman, France Correspondent

Montpellier remain in the hunt for QPR’s Djibril Cisse, but have said the former Liverpool striker is not the only potential solution to their goalscoring problems.

Djibril Cisse celebrates his equaliser
PA PhotosCisse wants to leave QPR

The 2011-12 title-winners finished ninth last term after losing key man Olivier Giroud to Arsenal.

Gaetan Charbonnier, bought from second-tier Angers, and Argentine Emanuel Herrera failed to fill the striker's boots – but Montpellier said that did not necessarily mean that Cisse, 31, would be making a return to Ligue 1.

Cisse is keen to leave relegated QPR. He spent the final six months of last season on loan at Qatari club Al Gharafa, and has previously said he would welcome a move back to the French top flight.

But newly-installed Montpellier coach Jean Fernandez revealed that he was only one of a number of players being looked at.

"We want to bring in a forward because neither Herrera nor Charbonnier have really established themselves, but there is not only Cisse," he told lequipe.fr.

"We're looking at the market now. Several profiles interest us, but no decision has been taken.

"We're not in a hurry. It could as easily happen before we return to training or before the start of the season. We have up until the month of September."

Last week, Montpellier president and owner Louis Nicollin said taking Cisse on would be "a big gamble", but that Fernandez would have the final say.

"It's the coach who decides, not me. I let the people I pay do what they have to do," he explained.