Transfer news

Dos Santos attracts MLS interest

June 10, 2013
By Dermot Corrigan, Spain Correspondent

Mallorca president Lorenzo Serra Ferrer claims a club in the MLS - believed to be champions LA Galaxy - have made an offer for Giovani dos Santos, but says the Mexico international’s future has yet to be decided.

Giovani dos Santos scored a late winner to secure an important victory for Mallorca
GettyImagesGiovani dos Santos is set for an exit from Mallorca

Reports in Dos Santos’ home country say that LA Galaxy offered €8 million for the player last week.

La Liga sides Valencia, Real Betis and Sevilla are also thought to be interested in the attacker, 24, who impressed for Mallorca with six goals and six assists in 29 games last season, but is now set to leave after the team were relegated from the top flight.

The Los Bermellones chief confirmed to Superdeporte that just one offer had been received, but he was waiting to speak to the player - who is currently on World Cup 2014 qualifying duty with Mexico - before he made any formal response.

“We have just one offer for Gio and it is from the American league,” Serra Ferrer said. “There is nothing more. We must speak with him and see what his future will be.”

Valencia-based Superdeporte claim that Dos Santos’ preferred destination would be their local club, and that Los Che sporting director Braulio Vazquez is keen to do a deal, but has yet to make formal contact with Mallorca.

Dos Santos’ former club Tottenham Hotspur reportedly still retain 50% of the player’s rights after selling the other 50% to Mallorca for €1 million last summer.

Should it come to an auction, cash-strapped Valencia, as well as Betis and Sevilla, would be unlikely to match Galaxy’s reported offer.