Transfer news

Debuchy cools talk of Monaco move

June 4, 2013
By Kristan Heneage

Mathieu Debuchy has laughed off speculation linking him with a summer move to AS Monaco.

Mathieu Debuchy's forward forays could transform Newcastle
GettyImagesDebuchy had a tough start to life in the Premier League

The newly-promoted side are said to have spent over €100 million on Porto pair James Rodridguez and Joao Moutinho as well as Radamel Falcao as they attempt to establish themselves as a dominant force in French football. Their ambitious approach has seen them linked with a bevy of potential new recruits, including Debuchy.

Having only arrived on Tyneside in January from Lille, speculation had been rife that the France international was set to end his time in the Premier League and secure a lucrative move to the principality along with team-mate Yohan Cabaye.

"I saw it, but with Monaco, there are new names of players every day. It makes me smile,” the 27-year-old told L’Equipe.

Enduring a testing first six months in the Premier League, Debuchy said the number of new arrivals at the club in January had made things difficult, but revealed he had discovered enjoyable aspects to life in England.

“Last winter, there were many arrivals of a sudden, it was difficult to work in such a short time,” he explained. “I discovered another championship with the things that I like enormously: the atmosphere, the intensity in a match. Mentally, it takes the same energy, but the game is a little different. I had less freedom to go forward.”

Called up to the France squad by coach Didier Deschamps for friendly games against Uruguay and Brazil this month, Debuchy was asked if he feared his poor club form may hamper his international prospects.

"From that side, I do not worry,” he replied. “The key is to remain effective. I know when I've had a good or a bad game.”