Chelsea news

Carvalho: Mou will return 'good times'

June 2, 2013
By Kevin Palmer

Real Madrid defender Ricardo Carvalho is confident Jose Mourinho will return the "good times" to Chelsea as speculation continues to mount of the Portuguese coach's reunion with Stamford Bridge.

Jose Mourinho Chelsea crest
GettyImagesJose Mourinho won five major trophies in his first spell at Chelsea

• Blog: Mourinho motivated

After Mourinho oversaw his final game as Real Madrid boss against Osasuna, the expectation is that the 50-year-old tactician will be presented as the new Chelsea manager next week.

While that news will hardly come as a surprise after months of rumour, Carvalho's comments strengthen one of the biggest Premier League stories of this summer.

"I am certain that Jose can bring the good times back for them," he told The Sun.

"He did it when we first went there in 2004 and he will do it again this time. He is always successful. He is a special coach and always works hard.

"For the last two years Manchester United and City have been at the top of the league in England, but I'm sure Chelsea will improve when Jose goes back there.

"It's important for them to win the Premier League again and, with Jose in charge, they will do it. I'm sure in two, three years they can but even in his first year he can win it again.

"When we arrived together in 2004, Chelsea had not won the league for 50 years, so I hope now they can win it again.

"Chelsea are a special club for me and I wish for them to win the Premier League again."

Meanwhile, the official Premier League website appeared to confirm Mourinho's return to Chelsea despite the club not yet revealing the news themselves.

A story dated Monday June 3rd was published on Saturday night confirming Mourinho's comeback, yet no confirmation from Stamford Bridge has so far been released. The story was later removed and when contacted by the BBC the Premier League put the story down to a publishing error and claimed it had no inside knowledge about Mourinho's potential return.

A Premier League spokesman said: "It was a publishing error. We took it down as soon as we were notified of it, and we've spoken to and apologised to Chelsea.

"We have no prior knowledge of any movement or any announcement."