Liverpool news

Skrtel would listen to offers

May 26, 2013
By Mike Whalley

Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel has told Slovakian media he would seriously consider offers to leave Anfield after losing his place over the second half of the season.

Premier League
PA PhotosSkrtel lost his place in the second half of the season

Skrtel made just four Premier League starts for his club in 2013, having fallen behind Jamie Carragher in the first-team pecking order.

Manager Brendan Rodgers insisted in March that he had no intention of selling Skrtel this summer, wanting the 28-year-old to remain as one of his central defensive options, and the Slovakia international has indicated that he would be happy to stay if he could regain a regular spot.

But even with Carragher retiring after Liverpool completed their Premier League programme last weekend, Skrtel faces a battle for a place next season.

Rodgers is expected to sign Manchester City defender Kolo Toure on a free transfer, and is understood to be preparing a £12 million bid for Schalke’s Greece international centre-back Kyriakos Papadopoulos. The Liverpool manager is also tracking Sporting Lisbon’s Portugal Under-20 international central defender Tiago Ilori.

That has left Skrtel, signed from Zenit St Petersburg by Rafa Benitez for £6.5 million in January 2008, pondering his Anfield future.

He told the Slovakian newspaper Dennik Sport: “I have not had any specific offers but, if some should come and they interest me, I would probably ponder it seriously.”

But Skrtel, whose Liverpool contract runs until 2016, acknowledged that the final say on his future rests with the club.

He added: “The club has the biggest say in this in any case, because they have the right for it with me being contracted. Besides, I am not saying that I want to leave at any cost. I feel sorry for what happened in this season. But I have been here for five-and-a-half years and I have built a position here.”

The defender said that the season just completed had been a struggle for him because of his spell out of the side.

He added: “It was one of the worst seasons in my career and certainly the worst during my time at Liverpool. Ever since I came to England, I’ve always more or less regularly played.”