Pastore committed to PSG project
Javier Pastore has committed himself to Paris Saint-Germain regardless of whether coach Carlo Ancelotti remains with the Ligue 1 champions.
After joining PSG from Palermo for €42 million in the summer of 2011, Pastore, 23, has gradually grown into his new surroundings, and played an influential role in the club's first French title triumph in 19 years this season.
Although news that Ancelotti has asked to leave the Parc des Princes this summer has provoked a wave of uncertainty in Paris, the Argentina international’s mind is clear as to his immediate future.
"I'll be 100% Parisian next season. There is something that I will never forget, and that's that the PSG board were the first to put their faith in me," Pastore, who saw Ancelotti take over from Antoine Kombouare in December 2011, told Le Parisien. "I was one of the first recruits. I arrived in Paris before Carlo. Whether he stays or not has no impact on my future. I owe everything to the president."
Pastore, who will return to his native country for a short holiday after this weekend's final Ligue 1 game at Lorient, admitted he had been "a little surprised" by Ancelotti's request, made during a meeting with PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi and sporting director Leonardo last Sunday.
However, the midfielder emphasised the fact that PSG's upward trajectory will only be slowed, but not halted, should the Italian depart.
"Of course it'll mean a lot of changes in terms of the staff, and it'll take a little time to get back to the right tempo of work. But it's nothing serious. The club's project won't change. There will be improvements. I'm not worried about the future of PSG," he said, adding whoever takes over does not need to make sweeping alterations to Ancelotti's set-up.
"There's already an identity in our team," he said. "Whoever comes in will start from a good position to further improve our play. I don't think he'll change everything."